Ur chance to become a Film Critic...

ViJiT

Vijith Pujari
Fight Club’ is a stylishly shot movie that has beauty of form without any substantial content

kartik

Kartik Raichura
Staff member
We were talkin abt fight club in colg.. n some of my friends said it isnt worth a penny :p

milind20

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
hello ppl.....
I saw Taxi No. 9211 yestrday, and quite frankly it is a decent movie.....
Not that gr8, but fantastic ( i mean it) performance by Nana Patekar....... he is simply awesome......
The movie is a perfect example of wht Mumbai life is all abt.....u can be a roadpati frm a crorepati and also vice versa.......
John Abrahim and Sonali Kulkarni are also wonderful...... John is lookin really kool and has definetely improved in his acting skills.......
Overall a fun movie.......comedy mixed with emotions.......and it gives a beautiful message......some scenes are really touching (when Nana goes to his son's school to meet him - very emotional)......

My rating - ***1/2

ViJiT

Vijith Pujari
yea taxi 9211 was a timepass movie with good performance and cool dialogues..by both the actors.

milind20

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
well thers not much action in this thread lately....
lemme start then.....

I saw Being Cyrus today.....
for starters i walked in 5 mins late (thnx to one of my dumbf**k frnd)... and i thought it wudn't matter if i lost only 5 mins.... but for a 85 mins movie only, it mattered......

b4 goin fr the movie, i expected somethng diff frm this one.... and it truly was diff..... completely diff frm the usual Bollywood masala flick.... this one seems like a classic Hollywood film....

Believe me, it is as diff to undrstsnd as an audience, as it must hve been to direct the film... may be bcoz it is not made for those 'gavar' audience firstly bcoz it is completely in English, and more importantly it requires u to be brainy :wink:.....

I will not discuss the storyline bcoz.... it will reveal a bit if suspense... but notable part is Cyrus (Saif Ali Khan) plays the role of a psycho killer and he does all sorts of wierd thngs..... very wierd thngs.....

The plot revolves around this traditional Parsi family partly in Mumbai, partly in Panchgani... Cyrus walks in as a stranger to the fammily.... and then completely changes the fate of the family....

Saif Ali Khan has come up with a top notch performance in the movie.... What an actor he is proving to be.... really fantastic work by him....

Boman Irani continues to impress.... theater actor that he is... his screen presence is exceptional......

Nasserudin Shah, a veteran, plays a smoker who struggles to meet his ends... truly a star... he deserves all the accolades.....

The aged father (donno his real name) is really fantastic with his witty remarks and dialogues... he looks good and impressive....

Simone Singh, playin an innocent brat here.... does a good job as well.... She looks gorgeuos really....

BUT, old Dimple Kapadia, is a let-off.... acc to me.... she was not acting she was over acting.... kind of an OK perrformance......

All in all, Being Cyrus is impressive to say the least. Recommended....
acc to me - ***1/2

waitin for ur reviews.....

Last edited:

A.J.

Maverick
kartik said:
Thnk god the movie doesnt star diya mirza.. cudve ruined all d fun :p

Man, some people are just sooooooo envious of the most beautiful woman on earth :p :aj1:

Had it starred Dia Mirza, it would've probably gone on to win an Oscar or something :aj:

kartik

Kartik Raichura
Staff member
2 ignorant kids..baffled by diya mirza for mysterious reasons... god forgive thy.. for thy dont know what ye speak

milind20

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
A strange guy, stopping two ppl from adoring a pretty women.... Strange !!!!
God help him !!!!

sandhya_cool

hey hi guys this is sandya here...this is the first time im writing to u guys...i would like to say that iqbal was a fantastic movie...the central idea of the story was that any one irrespective of his status,can achieve success.in this story iqbal ,a young fellow who is deaf and dumb aspires to become a cricketer some day....the movie shows all his difficulties and obstacles on his path towards success..it is a very inspiring movie which is worth watching.the very different thing about this movie is that it has only 2 songs .the story line was given more emphasis ,which i liked..i never felt it was too monotonous or anythin like that....so for me IQBAL rocks tooo!!

milind20

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Well.... its been a long time since there has been a post in this thread....

Today I saw one of the most awaited, the most talked about film of the year.... "Fanaa"

Most of the ppl including me had a lot of expectations frm the film and I shud say it has lived up to the expectations.... There wer rumours abt the story being leaked out and ppl knowin the story b4 its actually released... but trust me ppl its not wht we had heard... its different....

Kajol, on her comeback to films aftr a longtime, performs decently well.... the character played by her is tht of Zooni, a blind pretty Kashmiri girl who goes to Delhi to perform in a religious function and thts wer she meets Rehan who acts as being a guide but is actuallly on a mission. He is a TERRORIST...

The film also has decent performances by Rishi Kapoor, Kiron Kher, and many guest appearnces.... The only fault tht I cud find frm the film are those little thngs tht often the director overlooks.... also, some songs i feel wer not needed at all.... mite hve been added just to lenghten the film wich is of 3 hrs...

BUT if the film is a HIT, which it is, it is bcoz of yet another power packed and an awesome performance by the on a high "Aamir Khan"... trust me ppl... I feel the worth of my money (which was too much, they hve increased the rates) aftr watchin Aamir Khan in this one... Fantastic work Aamir... u hve just managed to give yet another stupendous performance this year aftr the super duper hit Rang De Basanti...

WOW Aamir is on a roll..........

Wht r ur ratings ppl.... plsss do contribute....

kartik

Kartik Raichura
Staff member
Lol.. My frnds wantd to drag me for FANAA .. but i said no way hose..

So they agreed to go for the DA VINCI CODE .

If i had to rate it.. i would rate it 4 on 5.

4 because the movie was damn fast.. many parts frm the book were missing..

For a person who has read the book.. it seemd like visions while reading the book comming live on the theatre...

Tom hanks does justice to his character.. the heroine my friends though was soo cute they forgot the whole story.. :rofl:

Id say go for it.. but not in fame adlabs... 160 rs ticket and 70 rs popcorn.. wtf..

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
lol kartik the worst part of the movie was watching it with you lol..... neways the movie is damn fast ... and most of the people who wer watchin tht movie wer intellectual types who had read the book. the lady was damn cuteeee. and the startin part was damn fast the main part starts wen they uncover the cryptex. overall 3/5 as i had read the book.

milind20

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
First KRRISH review - a cool **** (A must see)

Sadly I have not yet seen the movie.... but looking at the following review.... I am dying to go....

By Taran Adarsh, June 22, 2006 - 23:35 IST

Yes, finally, the much-awaited KRRISH has arrived. Armed with monumental expectations, this sequel to KOI… MIL GAYA is touted to win the hearts of kids from 6 to 60. Most importantly, KRRISH is expected to rewrite box-office history.

Since the inception of the character during the 1930s, Superman has been fodder for a variety of movies and television series, both live and animated. Though Hindi film heroes have had the qualities of Superman, it’s for the first time that a lead man with a mask and robe is about to invade the Hindi screen.

KRRISH is a crucial release for yet another reason. The Rakesh Roshan-Hrithik Roshan combo has given us back-to-back successes: KAHO NAA… PYAAR HAI and KOI… MIL GAYA. Quite naturally then, the expectations from KRRISH are humungous.

The great news is that KRRISH more than meets the expectations. The film works, and works big time, due to several reasons. Besides a novel premise for Indian moviegoers, it has Hrithik Roshan enacting a role that fits him like a glove. Mind you, the role of a man with superpowers and a robust personality to match would’ve fallen flat in inept hands and the best of techno-wizardry would’ve, hence, been ignored, unobserved and unnoticed.

But one of the major highpoints of KRRISH is its penultimate 40 minutes. The fight between good and bad, noble versus immoral, virtuous versus corrupt has been depicted in film after film. And if the fight between the two extremes is portrayed in the most convincing fashion, the viewer is bound to carry the film home and most importantly, return to the movieplex to watch the on-screen clash once again.

The collision of righteous [Hrithik] and wicked [Naseer] in KRRISH and the usage of special effects and thrills takes the film to an altogether different level. It wouldn’t be wrong to state that Hindi moviegoers haven’t witnessed something like this ever. Also, the re-emergence of Rohit [the lead character of KOI… MIL GAYA] in the story is a master stroke from the writing and execution point of view. It only strengthens the climax and makes the fight utmost convincing.

KRRISH also reaffirms the fact that Rakesh Roshan has adapted to the changing times well. While most of his contemporaries have slipped into oblivion, Roshan Sr. has moved with the fast-changing times and gathered courage to narrate a tale that’s present-day and at the same time, inventive. At the same time, KRRISH is soaked in Indian emotions [the relationship Hrithik shares with his grandmom Rekha], talks of astrology using computer as a tool and shows the protagonist with superpowers -- a story Indians can absorb very easily. Concurrently, Roshan Sr. relies on dexterously executed special effects to narrate the tale. And the pulsating stunts and thrills only act as sone pe suhaaga.

In a nutshell, KRRISH is a terrifically exciting and compelling experience. Move over SUPERMAN, BATMAN and SPIDERMAN. KRRISH, the Indian superhero, has arrived!

Krishna [Hrithik Roshan] is born with magical powers -- a legacy from his father, Rohit Mehra.

Free as a bird, he runs like the wind…
Like an eagle, he soars across rivers and mountain tops…
As a lion, he conquers rugged rocks without fear…

Priya [Priyanka Chopra] comes into his life and becomes his world. When she beckons him to Singapore, he follows her there. Little realizing it is destiny that has summoned him. Having sheltered him from the world, his grandmother Sonia [Rekha] reluctantly gives in to him and lets him follow his heart.

In Singapore, Dr. Siddhant Arya [Naseeruddin Shah], the megalomaniac scientist, is on the verge of changing the future forever. Only one man stands between Dr. Siddharth and his destructive dreams. Only one man has the power to block his ruthless ambitions. Krrish.

KRRISH is essentially three movies rolled into one: It starts off as a love story, changes gears and becomes a traditional superhero story and in the pre-climax, it’s the clash between good versus evil. While the first part seems like any other love story, it has its moments. Note Hrithik’s introduction and also, Hrithik saving Priyanka from an accident [their first meeting] and you know that there’s more to the film than a saccharine-sweet love story.

The first hour, in fact, may give an impression that it’s a routine fare, but knowing Roshan Sr.’s style of showing his cards in the second hour, you await the post-interval portions with bated breath. And lo! KRRISH takes giant strides in this hour. The story actually gathers momentum when Sharat Saxena spills the beans and the film goes into a flashback. From thereon, right till the end titles, it’ a different film altogether. And that’s its biggest achievement. The team of writers [Sachin Bhowmick, Honey Irani, Robin Bhatt, Akash Khurana and Rakesh Roshan] deserve brownie points for padding the film with pulse-pounding moments.

The film has its share of blemishes too. The pace slackens intermittently in the first hour, primarily because the story doesn’t move beyond the romantic scenes. Also, the music [Rajesh Roshan] isn’t as mesmerizing as the Roshan brothers’ previous works. The songs of KRRISH are functional, barring the ‘Dil Na Diya’ track, which is complimented by an energetic picturization.

The action scenes [Tony Ching Siu Tung from Hong Kong and Sham Kaushal] are superb and will be greeted by claps and cheers. Hrithik’s stunts in Naseer’s den are simply awe-inspiring. Prior to that, the chase portions -- Hrithik chasing Naseer on land, water and air -- is astounding. The special effects [Marc Kolbe and Craig Mumma, both from U.S.A.] are incredible. In fact, the special effects are a pillar of the enterprise. Santosh Thundiyil’s cinematography is exceptional. The film bears a stunning look all through. Salim-Sulaiman’s background score is of international quality. It only heightens the impact further.

To state that Hrithik is the soul of KRRISH would be an understatement. If the actor walked away with all noteworthy awards in KOI… MIL GAYA, it’s going to be an encore with KRRISH. You cannot imagine any other actor enacting the role of a gifted child with aplomb. If his mask and robe look is splendid, watch his make up, gait and mannerisms as the aged father and you’d agree, he’s one of the finest talents on the Indian screen today. KRRISH is yet another ground-breaking film in his dazzling repertoire!

Priyanka is the archetypal Hindi film heroine. Not surprising, since everyone in Hrithik’s radius is bound to get eclipsed. Rekha is highly effective, especially in the scene after the confrontation, when she narrates the true story to Hrithik. Naseeruddin Shah excels yet again. He plays the cool, calculating and conniving villain to perfection.

The remaining actors -- Sharat Saxena, Puneet Issar, Akash Khurana, Hemant Pandey, Manini Mishra, Kiran Juneja Sippy and Archana Puransingh -- are satisfactory. Preity Zinta is there for one scene.

On the whole, KRRISH is a winner all the way. At the box-office, the film will rewrite box-office history and emerge one of the biggest hits ever. The film will establish records from Day 1 itself, while the first weekend business will be brilliant and the first week billing should shatter all previous records. A money spinner, KRRISH is a definite blockbuster!

(www.indiafm.com)

anu shukla

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
hi there..

writting on this thread fr 1st time..so no offences meant!!!
me like to experiment with more "raw"movies instead of regular laila majnu melodrama...

so watched "ANKAHEE"directed by vikram bhatt on so called his relation with sushmita sen...
movie is gud...although doesn't seem to be linked to sush in any way...amisha patel crying like hell!!! but MUST SAY A GUD EFFORT!!!smwhere it gives u the true picture of life of a celebrity..more like "lucky song "from britney...but esha deol character was well etched,she has shown her skills perfectly...wud give it 3.5/5 acc to the topic it has taken & the directors effort..

so fr all those who want to see off track movies..will say its gud to watch once but try nt having any expectations from the movie...so better watch it in home
(all the comments written in this column are subjected to personal opinion of the writer & are in no way suggest the general view)hahahaha!!!
just want to ensure taht no body kills me fr the same!!!
NEXT IN LINE AM WAITING FR "CORPORATE" TO RELEASE!!!!

take care
anu

vengabeats

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Munnabhai is better than ever!

Three years ago a local goon Munnabhai along with his sidekick Circuit was projected on the silver screen. They became the cinematic equivalent of soup-for-the-soul, winning awards and hearts.
They were unique characters etched from life, and after the film's release took a life of their own.
Three years later, they are back. Except for the two characters, the film is not a continuation of the same story or repeat of other characters. Also back are Boman Irani, Jimmy Shergill, and Kurush Deboo. Vidya Balan replaces Gracy Singh, while Diya Mirza and some new faces are added to the list. And while you do get your fill of maamus and Mumbai-speak, the one thing you miss most is a jaadu ki jhappi.
If in the last film Dutt's real life father the late Sunil Dutt played his reel life father, this time he shares screen space with the father of the nation Mahatma Gandhi, played by Dilip Prabhavalkar.
This time around, Munnabhai loses his weapon of violence after an encounter with Bapu himself and is mentored by Gandhi himself in using the weapons of love and non-violence.
The result?
If Munnabhai as a doctor won hearts, then this time around he comes back with an even bigger heart.
The film is about finding the Gandhi in all of us, but never sounds didactic or preachy. Rather, it makes you laugh and cry through the whole journey during which it touches various issues of parental neglect, stagnation of the older generation, corruption, evil builders, bad manners, superstitions... the works!
Munnabhai is in love with a radio jockey, Jhanvi (Vidya Balan), and this time around does dirty work for a builder Lucky Singh (Boman Irani). Singh's motivation is to get his daughter married to a very wealthy man's son, and he will do whatever he can to ensure it happens.
Vidya Balan lives with her grandfather in a bungalow called 2nd Innings shared by 6 other elderly men who have been left by their children and society. This is the very bungalow Lucky Singh needs. The complications that arise from this form the crux of the story as Munnabhai lies to win Balan's heart by pretending he is a history professor.
01munna2.jpg
To add to Munna's confusion, he starts seeing Gandhi, who warns him of impending trouble if he lives through his way of the gun. Once Munnabhai's world crashes around him he adopts the Gandhian principles of truth and non-violence with hilarious and heartrending moments.
The only thing one wonders is when Lucky threatens to reveal Munna's identity, why does he wait for a few days till Munnabhai starts his agitation, instead of stopping him then and there. Also if the radio programme Balan and Munnabhai appear on is on Worldspace Radio, how can it be heard on normal radio sets? But barring these you never encounter any bumps in the whole ride.
Technically and production-wise the sequel is a notch higher than the previous film, but the main challenge was for the scriptwriters to match up if not go one better than the previous film, and Abhijat Joshi and Rajkumar Hirani deliver big time. The film is a prime example of a great script with sure-handed direction at its best.
Each actor is well cast. It's hard to speak about Dutt since he is Munnabhai, it's like a role he was born to play. All his life he has played roles casting him as a violent underworld character, but Munnabhai is his and his alone. It's almost like he has been acting all these years in preparation for this role. If ever someone decides to remake Munnabhai, their plans will have to be shelved as they won't have Dutt.
Arshad Warsi's career was revived with the original, and he delivers what he does best. Boman Irani is back again after playing several insipid characters in his last few films. Lucky Singh's character is multi-layered, evil and yet good in his own way, with an infectious roguish charm. Vidya Balan is an actress to watch out for. She enacted a complex Parineeta, and here flashes her pearly whites and charms in a way Gracy Singh simply failed to do.
01munna3.jpg
The music of the film seems okay when one listens to the album in isolation, but watching the film, the songs are exactly what the film needs, pleasant and soulful throughout with a background score that enhances them, using the soundscape of the songs itself. The cinematography and the production design complement each other and stay true to the film.
In the end the film's true hero is Rajkumar Hirani, who has written, edited and directed the film. Like the Frank Capra classic It's A Wonderful Life, this Munnabhai edition is a film for people of all ages, timeless in its appeal as it aims straight for the inherent hope and goodness in all of us. It shows the Gandhi in all of us, shows things we have to choose to ignore. It makes you feel good about yourself and what you have.
We live in a cynical world, but even in such times, sometimes a person, book or film comes along and shows you a tiny crack in the wall behind which there is a lot of light, and suddenly your heart is full of happiness. Lage Raho Munnabhai is one such film that makes you laugh, makes you cry, and also makes you feel good to be a human being.
Rediff Rating:
rating4half.gif