Customer Service gone wrong - Case Study

joel.francis.7351

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Last week, an interesting incident happened when I visited my bank. The customer service associate could not fulfill my request at that point of time and promised to do so the next day. The very next second, he quickly added, “Sir, just in case I forget to address your request, please give me a reminder call.” More than that I was pissed, I wondered is that a customer service associate is supposed to behave? The irony was that he was sitting on the ‘May I help you’ desk! How he helped, indeed!

Irrespective of the size of the company, product and customer service are two components that could make or mar the brand. For a startup, even a minor negative incident related to customer service can ring the alarm bells.

We all know about the usual customer service skills an employee should possess - patience, attentiveness, clear communication skills, positive approach, and a few more. However, I would like to add one more skill to the already long list. And that would be using the common sense. If I would have put a reminder on my phone to remind the bank official, so could he. It’s as simple as that!

As a start-up which wants to survive and thrive in this cut-throat competition, teach your customer service professionals to understand the power behind these words ‘May I help you?’ They are not mere four words, but the license to help the customers in all possible ways they can.