Online Security

sunandaC

Online Security
FAQs
What hardware and software do I need to access ICICI Bank Internet Banking?

Can I use a Laptop to access ICICI Bank Internet Banking?

What browser should I use?

How can I tell if a web page is secured?

What should I do if my Internet Explorer frequently hangs?

What should I do if I see 'This program has performed an illegal operation' on my PC?

How do I clear my browser cache?

What is 128-bit Secure Socket Layer?

What is the difference between 40-bit encryption and 128-bit encryption?

What's your role in enhancing security of your online banking experience?

How is my information transmitted safely over the Internet?

What is a Digital Certificate and how does it help to ensure security?

Can other people view my personal information when I am using the Internet?

There is a 'Java Script Error' on my computer. What should I do?

I am experiencing slow response when accessing ICICI Bank Internet Banking. What is wrong?

Are email transmissions secured?

How can I recognize a scam e-mail?

What is phishing?

What is a worm?

What is a firewall and how does it protect my information?

We recommend the following:

Computer with 500MHz processor or higher

64 MB RAM or higher

Internet connection of 28.8 kbps or higher

The following operating systems:

Windows 98, NT, 2000, XP

The following browsers:

Microsoft® Internet Explorer 5.XX and above

Netscape® 7.XX and above

Yes, as long as the notebook meets the recommended system requirement.

We recommend that you use:

Internet Explorer Version 5.5 and above

Netscape Navigator Version 7.1 and above

There are two general indications of a secured web page:

1) Check the web page URL

Normally, when browsing the web, the URLs (web page addresses) begin with
the letters "http". However, over a secure connection the address displayed should begin with "https" - note the "s" at the end.

Try it! - Visit our home page (http://www.icicibank.com). Note the URL begins
with the "http" meaning this page is not secure. Click the link in the upper-left hand corner to "Log in". Notice the change in the URL? It now begins with "https", meaning the user name and password typed in will be encrypted before sent to our server.

2) Check for the "Lock" icon
There is a de facto standard among web browsers to display a "lock" icon somewhere in the window of the browser (NOT in the web page display area!) For example, Microsoft Internet Explorer displays the lock icon in the lower-right of the browser window:

Click (or double-click) on it in your Web Browser to see details of the site's security.

This is important to know because some fraudulent web sites are built with a bar at the bottom of the web page to imitate the lock icon of your browser!

If you encounter problems while accessing Internet Banking using Internet Explorer, you may need to upgrade your browser or update it with the most recent fixes from Microsoft to keep it running smoothly. Keeping your browser updated is also likely to protect your computer better as the latest fixes and patches will also address known security weaknesses.
What should I do if I see 'This program has performed an illegal operation' on my PC?

This is commonly known as GPF (General Protection Fault). You'll have to restart your browser. If the problem persists, please consult your PC vendor.

To clear your browser cache:
• Internet Explorer
o Go to "Tools"
o Go to "Internet Options"
o Select "General"
o Click on "Delete Files" at "Temporary Internet files"
• Netscape
o Go to "Netscape" or "Edit"
o Go to "Preferences"
o Select or double-click on "Advanced"
o Select "Cache"
o Click on "Clear Memory Cache" and "Clear Disk Cache"
SSL stands for "Secure Sockets Layer". It is a protocol designed to enable applications to transmit information back and forth securely. Applications that use this protocol inherently know how to give and receive encryption keys with other applications, as well as how to encrypt and decrypt data sent between the two.SSL has been universally accepted on the World Wide Web for authenticated and encrypted communication between the customer's computer and servers.

Some applications that are configured to run SSL include web browsers like Internet Explorer and Netscape, email programs like GroupWise, Outlook, and Outlook Express, FTP (file transfer protocol) programs, etc. These programs are automatically able to receive SSL connections.

To send an SSL connection, however, or to open a secure connection, your application must first have an encryption key assigned to it by a Certification Authority. Once it has a unique key of its own, you can establish a secure connection with every other application that can "speak" the SSL protocol.

40-bit and 128-bit refer to the size of the key used to encrypt information. To use the lock and key analogy, the greater the number of keys, the more difficult it is to find the correct key to fit into the lock that protects the information. Therefore, the larger the size of the encryption level, the more difficult it is to find the right key to unlock the information.

- Always ensure your PC is updated with latest anti-virus and operating system patches.

- Install personal firewall and anti-spy ware to protect your PC from internet attacks.

- Always change your online banking passwords periodically say every month.

- Review credit card & bank statements regularly and report any irregularities to the bank.

- You report any suspicious or fraudulent e-mail/sites to the bank immediately.

- Always read the online security tips provided by the bank from time to time.

Web browsers use standard security protocols like SSL, and S-HTTP to enable private information to be transmitted safely over the Internet. When you visit a Web site with the SSL protocol, a secure connection is created between your computer and the Web site server you are visiting. Once this connection is established, you can transmit any amount of information to the Web server safely. In contrast, the S-HTTP is designed to transmit individual messages.

Digital certificates are issued by certification authorities to authenticate a Web site or elements of Web sites. The certificate identifies the originator of the site, or element, and verifies that it has not been tampered with. When your Web browser is presented with a certificate, it will check to see if a legitimate certification authority issued the certificate. If there is a match, your session will continue. Otherwise, your browser will issue a warning and your safest action is to cancel your activity.

If a secure session is established and the information is encrypted during transmission, then others will not be able to view your information. However, you should be aware that some Web browsers will store information on your computer even after you are finished conducting your online activities, this is called caching. Therefore, you should close your browser once you are finished using the Internet, particularly if you visit secure sites to conduct financial transactions, check account balances or view any other information that you regard as private and confidential.

This usually happens when a transaction is attempted before the Java applet is completely loaded into your PC. To reload the applet, click on the toolbar, re-select the transaction and wait for the loading to be completed before you proceed. If this does not help, please try clearing the browser's cache before you log in again.
I am experiencing slow response when accessing ICICI Bank Internet Banking. What is wrong?

The slow response your are experiencing could be due to the following:

• You are not using the recommended browser, operating system and hardware.
• Your Internet Service Provider, Local Area Network or our system is facing intermittent slowness.

Email sent over the Internet is generally not secure unless it is encrypted. In reality, most email programs currently do not have this capability. To send us an email securely, we recommend that you do so by using the secure email function provided by some online services like Online Banking.

How can I recognise a scam e-mail?

Without using additional measures such as a digital signature, it is easy for fraudsters to imitate e-mails. But that doesn't mean you can't recognise scam e-mails. Cyber-criminals often place alarming, enticing or exciting subjects in their e-mails with the hope of tempting you to respond impulsively and divulge the requested information. So, always take your time to read the e-mail carefully. In case of doubt, it is better not to respond. If you do choose to respond, always first check that the mail is genuine by contacting the company that is the apparent sender by telephone, for instance.

What is phishing?

'Phishing' refers to the practice of fraudsters 'fishing' for your details in order to find out and misuse sensitive personal and financial information. Criminals may, for instance, make identical copies of existing corporate websites, or send scam e-mails to elicit a response from you and trick you into divulging your personal information.
What is a worm?

A worm is a virus that does not infect other programs. It makes copies of itself, and infects additional computers (typically by making use of network connections) but does not attach itself to additional programs; however a worm might alter, install, or destroy files and programs.

Melissa:

The Melissa Worm, also known as "Mailissa", "Simpsons", "Kwyjibo", or "Kwejeebo", is a computer worm that also functions as a macro virus, hence making it a "multipartite virus".

Code Red:
The Code Red worm was a computer worm released via the Internet on July 13, 2001 affecting computers running Microsoft's Internet Information Server (IIS) web server. The programmers at eEye Digital Security who reported it named it after both the Mountain Dew soft drink and the phrase "Hacked By Chinese!" (see Red Scare) that it propagated. The worm exploited a vulnerability in the indexing software distributed with IIS and did several things: * It defaced the affected web site to display:*: "H

One of the security mechanisms we use to protect our systems and your information is called a firewall. Our firewalls use a combination of industrial strength computer hardware and software that is designed to securely separate the Internet from our Internal Web servers, computer systems, networks and databases. During your secure online sessions with RBC Web sites, firewalls prevent unauthorized Internet traffic from entering our Web servers, systems and network.

If you are using internet banking of any bank then you need to take some precautions while using it. You should always use updated antivirus in your laptop or desktop. Always change your password on a regular basis and make complicated password. After using, logged out of account and you should clear all history and cookies.

bhautik.kawa

Online Security
FAQs

How can I recognize a scam e-mail?

What is phishing?

What is a worm?

We recommend the following:

Computer with 500MHz processor or higher

64 MB RAM or higher

Internet connection of 28.8 kbps or higher

The following operating systems:

Windows 98, NT, 2000, XP

The following browsers:

Microsoft® Internet Explorer 5.XX and above

Netscape® 7.XX and above

Yes, as long as the notebook meets the recommended system requirement.

We recommend that you use:

Internet Explorer Version 5.5 and above

Netscape Navigator Version 7.1 and above

There are two general indications of a secured web page:

1) Check the web page URL

Normally, when browsing the web, the URLs (web page addresses) begin with
the letters "http". However, over a secure connection the address displayed should begin with "https" - note the "s" at the end.

Try it! - Visit our home page (Personal Banking, Online Banking Services - ICICI Bank). Note the URL begins
with the "http" meaning this page is not secure. Click the link in the upper-left hand corner to "Log in". Notice the change in the URL? It now begins with "https", meaning the user name and password typed in will be encrypted before sent to our server.

2) Check for the "Lock" icon
There is a de facto standard among web browsers to display a "lock" icon somewhere in the window of the browser (NOT in the web page display area!) For example, Microsoft Internet Explorer displays the lock icon in the lower-right of the browser window:

Click (or double-click) on it in your Web Browser to see details of the site's security.

This is important to know because some fraudulent web sites are built with a bar at the bottom of the web page to imitate the lock icon of your browser!

If you encounter problems while accessing Internet Banking using Internet Explorer, you may need to upgrade your browser or update it with the most recent fixes from Microsoft to keep it running smoothly. Keeping your browser updated is also likely to protect your computer better as the latest fixes and patches will also address known security weaknesses.

This is commonly known as GPF (General Protection Fault). You'll have to restart your browser. If the problem persists, please consult your PC vendor.

To clear your browser cache:
• Internet Explorer
o Go to "Tools"
o Go to "Internet Options"
o Select "General"
o Click on "Delete Files" at "Temporary Internet files"
• Netscape
o Go to "Netscape" or "Edit"
o Go to "Preferences"
o Select or double-click on "Advanced"
o Select "Cache"
o Click on "Clear Memory Cache" and "Clear Disk Cache"
SSL stands for "Secure Sockets Layer". It is a protocol designed to enable applications to transmit information back and forth securely. Applications that use this protocol inherently know how to give and receive encryption keys with other applications, as well as how to encrypt and decrypt data sent between the two.SSL has been universally accepted on the World Wide Web for authenticated and encrypted communication between the customer's computer and servers.

Some applications that are configured to run SSL include web browsers like Internet Explorer and Netscape, email programs like GroupWise, Outlook, and Outlook Express, FTP (file transfer protocol) programs, etc. These programs are automatically able to receive SSL connections.

To send an SSL connection, however, or to open a secure connection, your application must first have an encryption key assigned to it by a Certification Authority. Once it has a unique key of its own, you can establish a secure connection with every other application that can "speak" the SSL protocol.

40-bit and 128-bit refer to the size of the key used to encrypt information. To use the lock and key analogy, the greater the number of keys, the more difficult it is to find the correct key to fit into the lock that protects the information. Therefore, the larger the size of the encryption level, the more difficult it is to find the right key to unlock the information.

- Always ensure your PC is updated with latest anti-virus and operating system patches.

- Install personal firewall and anti-spy ware to protect your PC from internet attacks.

- Always change your online banking passwords periodically say every month.

- Review credit card & bank statements regularly and report any irregularities to the bank.

- You report any suspicious or fraudulent e-mail/sites to the bank immediately.

- Always read the online security tips provided by the bank from time to time.

Web browsers use standard security protocols like SSL, and S-HTTP to enable private information to be transmitted safely over the Internet. When you visit a Web site with the SSL protocol, a secure connection is created between your computer and the Web site server you are visiting. Once this connection is established, you can transmit any amount of information to the Web server safely. In contrast, the S-HTTP is designed to transmit individual messages.

Digital certificates are issued by certification authorities to authenticate a Web site or elements of Web sites. The certificate identifies the originator of the site, or element, and verifies that it has not been tampered with. When your Web browser is presented with a certificate, it will check to see if a legitimate certification authority issued the certificate. If there is a match, your session will continue. Otherwise, your browser will issue a warning and your safest action is to cancel your activity.

If a secure session is established and the information is encrypted during transmission, then others will not be able to view your information. However, you should be aware that some Web browsers will store information on your computer even after you are finished conducting your online activities, this is called caching. Therefore, you should close your browser once you are finished using the Internet, particularly if you visit secure sites to conduct financial transactions, check account balances or view any other information that you regard as private and confidential.

This usually happens when a transaction is attempted before the Java applet is completely loaded into your PC. To reload the applet, click on the toolbar, re-select the transaction and wait for the loading to be completed before you proceed. If this does not help, please try clearing the browser's cache before you log in again.

The slow response your are experiencing could be due to the following:

• You are not using the recommended browser, operating system and hardware.
• Your Internet Service Provider, Local Area Network or our system is facing intermittent slowness.

Email sent over the Internet is generally not secure unless it is encrypted. In reality, most email programs currently do not have this capability. To send us an email securely, we recommend that you do so by using the secure email function provided by some online services like Online Banking.

How can I recognise a scam e-mail?

Without using additional measures such as a digital signature, it is easy for fraudsters to imitate e-mails. But that doesn't mean you can't recognise scam e-mails. Cyber-criminals often place alarming, enticing or exciting subjects in their e-mails with the hope of tempting you to respond impulsively and divulge the requested information. So, always take your time to read the e-mail carefully. In case of doubt, it is better not to respond. If you do choose to respond, always first check that the mail is genuine by contacting the company that is the apparent sender by telephone, for instance.

What is phishing?

'Phishing' refers to the practice of fraudsters 'fishing' for your details in order to find out and misuse sensitive personal and financial information. Criminals may, for instance, make identical copies of existing corporate websites, or send scam e-mails to elicit a response from you and trick you into divulging your personal information.
What is a worm?

A worm is a virus that does not infect other programs. It makes copies of itself, and infects additional computers (typically by making use of network connections) but does not attach itself to additional programs; however a worm might alter, install, or destroy files and programs.

Melissa:

The Melissa Worm, also known as "Mailissa", "Simpsons", "Kwyjibo", or "Kwejeebo", is a computer worm that also functions as a macro virus, hence making it a "multipartite virus".

Code Red:
The Code Red worm was a computer worm released via the Internet on July 13, 2001 affecting computers running Microsoft's Internet Information Server (IIS) web server. The programmers at eEye Digital Security who reported it named it after both the Mountain Dew soft drink and the phrase "Hacked By Chinese!" (see Red Scare) that it propagated. The worm exploited a vulnerability in the indexing software distributed with IIS and did several things: * It defaced the affected web site to display:*: "H

One of the security mechanisms we use to protect our systems and your information is called a firewall. Our firewalls use a combination of industrial strength computer hardware and software that is designed to securely separate the Internet from our Internal Web servers, computer systems, networks and databases. During your secure online sessions with RBC Web sites, firewalls prevent unauthorized Internet traffic from entering our Web servers, systems and network.

Hey Buddy,

I also got some information on the Study on Online Security and would like to share it with you and other student's. So please download and check it.

Attachments

• Study on Online Security.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 0