Dadri Case: Jawaharlal Nehru's Niece Has Returned an Uber Sahitya Akademi Award

<h2>Dadri Case: Jawaharlal Nehru's Niece Has Returned an Uber Sahitya Akademi Award</h2>

Nayantara%20Sahgal.jpg

We live in a democratic country and no one can say what I should wear, eat, and what we should speak. “It’s been almost a week now since a man (husband and father) in Dadri, U.P was brutally murdered. He was dragged out of his house and in full view of his family, beaten to death by a mob. His son is critically injured and his families are in terror, but what for? Well, he was rumored to have stored and/or eaten beef. So What? Who gave them the right to kill someone and as per our constitution, no one is above law. Then WHY? Why our honorable Prime Minister Narendra Modi is so silent over the issue? Don’t they hear what happened in UP and why the government is flaunting their imbecile casual approach? Such questions are yet to get answers.

Well, writer and Jawaharlal Nehru’s niece Nayantara Sahgal has returned the prestigious Sahitya Akademi Award to express her solidarity with “all Indians who uphold the right to dissent”. Sahgal, the niece of India’s first Prime Minister, issued a statement after returning the award she received in 1986 and questioned the PM’s silence in the wake of a “reign of terror”. She said that, “In all these cases, justice drags its feet. The Prime Minister remains silent…” Sahgal, a member of the Indian Writers’ Forum, said, echoing the opposition’s demand for PM Narendra Modi’s statement on the Bisada lynching.

“In a recent lecture, India’s Vice-President, Dr. Hamid Ansari, found it necessary to remind us that India’s Constitution promises all Indians “liberty of thought, expression, belief, faith and worship,” Sahgal said in the statement. “In memory of the Indians who have been murdered, in support of all Indians who uphold the right to dissent, and of all dissenters who now live in fear and uncertainty, I am returning my Sahitya Akademi Award,” Sahgal said.