Are Managers born or made

selvimba-2006

:SugarwareZ-191: :SugarwareZ-229: :SugarwareZ-064: i suggest that managers can also be made by proper trainning and motivatrion

Nitin1987

Hi,

I consider that everyone is a born manager as well as made. It is clear that right from birth we manage or try to manage something or the other - MOST essentially "time". According to me necessity is the mother of invention/ innovation. I hope many would agree that a leader has to be innovative i.e. he has to do things differently - how would anyone try to do things differently - When circumstances determine that the normal way will not work.

A good manager is one who uses the resources he has the best way. This one understands by experience - but if i m born in a family where resources are being used efficiently i automatically get that skill - making me a good manager. But a person can also learn this via as someone mentioned - by going to B-schools. That i why is a combination of both - i may be born manager but it is the need of the hour and my responses as such that make me a good manager.

- Nitin

Even if leaders are born, they undergo nurturing consciously or inevitably through contact with the environment in which they interact!!! Such nurturing is the "making" of the leader. While some people may be more indisposed to possessing some leadership skills (in-born traits), nurturing is inevitable. We need to recall that Leadership doesn't exist in a vacuum, it is always relative. At this point of time in discussion I wish to limit my views to this stage only unless and until, we have good number of exploratory responses on this topic.

No one is born leader or manager, situation forces the individual to choose where they want to go. This is the game of situation and situation plays major role in generating perception. Either they become Gandhi or Hitler depends on their perception. Mahatma Gandhi wanted to help people and Hitler wanted to rule the world but situation changes them. Just think that if no one would have thrown Mahatma Gandhi out of the train then possible chances that he won't take decision to help India free.

I think good managers are made not born. It is our attitude that decides how we evaluate and face work, learning, failure, critique and obstacles. Managers learn the management skills from their academic study but still there are some skilled qualities which they have got from their birth.

NalaLyla

managers are born to be made :D...
well i believe they are made....coz leaders and mangers are never born but are made by facing rigorous challenges and continous improvement !!

Great expression! But I would say that you would never make a manager of a person, who wasn't born to be it!

poornima lagadapati

A manager is not born, but gradually learns from formal training, experiences and idols/ examples that he puts into practice. No manager can be born as no person can't have all the qualities by birth. Note that only when he puts his theories and learnings into practice he becomes a manager.