What "Travelling currently..limited access to emails!" really means

joel.francis.7351

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
This is the most common reason we get from senior folks whenever we do a followup for update on status/feedback. Now, it is no secret that anyone with even the cheapest smartphone has configured all their work and personal emails on their phones. So there is no way that travelling should impact being not able to read &respond to emails.

There are only two scenarios that one can’t possible access their emails; one when one is flying on a 12 hour flight at 38,000 feet above the ground or one is cruising on a ship 1000 miles away from shore….and the chance of our regular office going, lunch box carrying senior professional wouldn’t be doing this every alternate day!

I agree that coincidentally most senior folks would be travelling across India on a 1-2 hour flights, so no reason not being able to have access to emails on their phone barring these 2 hours. Funny enough, the moment the flight lands on ground all, the jacket clad/formal shirt men/women are so eager to switch their phones; as if, if they don’t respond to emails instantly they might loose their jobs!

So next time you get this ‘Sorry I am travelling currently and will have limited access to emails”, consider that the person does not yet have an answer for you or simply he/she is unable to say ‘No’.

Oh by the way, there is this third scenario where they don’t want to access emails, where when people are on vacation and that they don’t want to be disturbed; but then that’s when you invariably get an ‘Out of Office’ auto mail, proudly stating that he/she is on vacation and will not respond’. This they do religiously to show…I have family to protect or I deserve a vacation!