The Value of Trust: My Weekend with Warren Buffett (and 35,000 Other Adoring Fans)

MP-AI-BOT

MP Guru
cbsomaha-216.jpg
Brad Doppelt ’10, Brandt Blimkie ’10 and Darren Bounds ’10 proudly bearing their “partner” passes while waiting for the doors to open at the annual meeting.

I could have sworn I was at a rock show, not an annual meeting. Yet there I stood outside the Qwest Center in Omaha, Nebraska at 6 a.m. on a Saturday morning alongside 35,000 other excited fans waiting for the doors to open for the 2009 Berkshire Hathaway Annual Meeting.

The annual meeting’s “cowboy” theme this year couldn’t have been more appropriate. Our tickets branded us as “partners,” not shareholders. And when the doors finally opened, I found myself caught in a stampede for the best seats in the stadium. Never in my life did I anticipate that I’d be competing in an early morning foot race against agile seniors at 7 a.m. for a chance to listen to a pair of octogenarians speak for six hours.

Fortunately, I was traveling with another student who had attended before, and he was able to guide us through the crowd into seats ten rows off stage left, giving us a perfect sight-line for the Oracle. It was 7:15 a.m.

Opening Night

The night before, we attended a shareholders’ reception at Borsheim’s, one of North America’s largest jewelers, which Berkshire purchased in 1989. The store overflowed with partners proudly bearing their shareholder passes around their necks. At the reception, I met a family represented by three generations. The grandmother’s father had been approached by Warren Buffett in the 1950s to contribute $10,000 to his original partnership but he declined the offer. Another family had a similar story. Her father had also been approached by Buffett, but had told the young Oracle to come back when he was driving a nicer car than his own. The irony is that Buffet is probably still driving a worse car than the grandfather (Buffett drove a Lincoln Town Car until 2001, when he replaced it with a Cadillac DTS). I wondered how many others had similar stories. A simple lack of trust had cost these families literally millions of dollars.

After we left Borsheim’s, we ventured over to the local Dairy Queen (also owned by Berkshire). It was hosting a book-signing with authors who had written books on Warren Buffett, while a BBC film crew was there filming a documentary. After indulging my childhood sweet tooth with my favorite DQ Blizzard, I sat down and spoke with Bill Child about his book, How to Build a Business Warren Buffett Would Buy. Child, who inherited the company RC Willey from his father-in-law, built the operation into Utah’s largest furniture store. In 1995, he sold the company to Berkshire for $175 million after being introduced to Buffett by the owners of the Nebraska Furniture Mart (which, as you might guess, is also owned by Berkshire).

I asked Child how Buffett had assessed his company. He told me that Buffett had asked him why he was selling the company and what he intended to do after the sale, and then instructed him to send over three years of financial reports along with a brief history of the company. Within three days, Child had received an offer. It was significantly lower than the $200 million he had been offered by investment bankers and other furniture retailers, but Bill decided to accept the lower offer from Buffett. I was amazed that it took Buffett only three days to feel comfortable purchasing this company and to trust his investment with Bill Child. It takes me three days just to read an annual report!

“Disneyland for Investors”

Waking up on Saturday morning, even at 5 a.m., was remarkably easy. I jumped out of bed like a kid on Christmas morning. We arrived outside the Qwest Center an hour later and, after claiming our seats, decided to go explore the exhibition hall. Two friends stayed behind to guard our prized spots.

fruitloom-216.jpg
Darren Bounds ’10 and the author pose with the Fruit of the Loom bunch.

The hall was filled with booths from Berkshire-owned companies, including Borsheim’s, Fruit of the Loom, Dairy Queen, NetJets, Justin Boots, See’s Candy and more. We had our pictures taken with the Fruit of the Loom “fruit” and the Dairy Queen mascot. Add in a Wall Street-themed roller coaster to parody the ups and downs of “Mr. Market” and the annual meeting would have resembled a Disneyland for investors, or maybe a Star Trek convention. But instead of speaking in Klingon, people used words like “margin of safety,” “intrinsic value” and “moats.”

buffettapproaches-150.jpg
“Those Dilly Bars look good,” said Warren Buffett, as he walked through the crowd. “I should get one.”

As we wandered the hall, I noticed a press circle moving toward us. Before I knew it, Warren Buffett was walking directly toward me. In fact, I was in his way. I came face-to-face with my idol and froze completely, like a deer in headlights. Would security jump on me if I said hello and reached out to shake his hand? I decided to smile and politely step aside. “Those Dilly Bars look good,” he said pointing to a member of the crowd as he walked by. “I should get one.”

We returned to our seats, eager to finally hear him speak. The morning began with a one-hour video montage of commercials for the companies Berkshire owns and a few short satiric skits. In one clip, Buffett pretends to be Tiger Woods’s caddy. In another, he sells a mattress called the Nervous Nellie to a customer in the Nebraska Furniture Mart. The mattress had a compartment to store money, Berkshire shares and old magazines.

The rest of the meeting followed a question and answer format. Questions alternated between those from audience members and those submitted in advance by journalists from Fortune, CNBC and the New York Times. The questions covered a range of topics, including the improvement of financial literacy, Berkshire’s exposure to derivatives, Buffett’s view on the government bailout, the threat of inflation and Berkshire’s investment in Chinese battery maker BYD. The entire time Buffett and his partner, Charlie Munger, drank Cherry Coke, ate See’s fudge and looked happier than two kids in a sandbox. The Q&A period broke for a half-hour lunch and then resumed.

Tough questions for Berkshire
kiewatplaza-216.jpg
Kiewit Plaza is home to the world headquarters for Berkshire Hathaway.

The most intriguing questions were the ones that Buffett didn’t really answer. Who was in line to replace him as CEO and head investor? There were three candidates for CEO and four for CIO, he said, but he didn’t give any names. Why does he hold Wells Fargo stock? If he could only invest in one company, he replied, it would be Wells Fargo, but he never said why. How does he evaluate and incentivize managers? That was a great question. “We don’t want relationships that are based on contracts,” he responded.

Charlie Munger added, “Our model is a seamless web of trust that’s deserved on both sides. That’s what we’re aiming for. The Hollywood model where everyone has a contract and no trust is deserved on either side is not what we want at all.” Buffett cited Peter Kiewit’s contracts (Kiewit founded Omaha’s largest construction company) as an example, without specifying what those contracts entailed.

By 2 p.m. we were all getting fidgety. I didn’t want to miss a word, but my legs were beginning to cramp. I had to get up and walk around. I couldn’t believe these two men could sit there for so long in such comfort with no break. At 3:30 p.m. the Q&A period ended and the formal annual meeting began, whereupon the board of directors were reelected by majority vote.

During the meeting, a shareholder put forth a motion requesting Berkshire to produce a sustainability report. This was my first exposure to the criticisms levied against one of Berkshire’s subsidiaries. According to the shareholder’s representative, there were allegations of labor violations at a Russell Athletics factory in Honduras. These allegations have caused several Ivy League schools, including Columbia University, to discontinue their use of Russell Athletics. The representative then passed the microphone to a worker from the factory in Honduras. She spoke for ten minutes in Spanish about the cramped workspace, long hours with few breaks and anti-union activity. Following her testimony, Buffett asked the CEO of Russell Athletics to respond. The CEO outlined the actions they had taken to improve conditions, and how a non-partisan labor rights group had been invited to monitor and evaluate the conditions. The motion was put to a vote and defeated.

Graham and Doddsville

After the meeting concluded, we walked over to a Columbia Business School reception hosted by the Heilbrunn Center for Graham & Dodd Investing. Professor Bruce Greenwald, Tom Russo of Gardner Russo Gardner, and Adam Weiss of Scout Capital shared their thoughts on the meeting and the enduring relevance of Benjamin Graham and David Dodd’s seminal 1934 text, Security Analysis.

To illustrate this point, Weiss cited passages warning of the dangers presented by over-levered institutions. Russo explained how his best investments had come from companies that had grown in value and benefited not only when the market recognized their intrinsic value but also when the company grew and its multiple increased. Professor Greenwald shared his perspective on the questions that Buffett opted not to answer completely. Why was Wells Fargo different from most other banks? Because it focused on local economies of scale, Greenwald said. Unlike other banks, Wells Fargo had concentrated its growth in the west (similar to See’s Candy) rather than spread itself across the country like other banks. What made Buffett’s contracts unique? They incentivized managers to not only pursue growth but to achieve profitability.

Following the reception, we made our last stop of the day. We drove to Berkshire’s legendary Nebraska Furniture Mart for a western BBQ cookout. I was expecting a large warehouse like Costco and was shocked when we arrived. At 77 acres, the Mart was not only larger than eight Costco warehouses laid side-by-side, it probably had its own zip code. Talk about local economies of scale!

A View on Trust
buffetthouse-216.jpg
Blimkie, standing outside Buffett’s house in Omaha, says the lack of a fancy security gate is one way Buffett demonstrates his trust.

On the way to the airport the next day, we drove by Buffett’s house and Kiewit Plaza, Berkshire’s headquarters. They are only a ten-minute drive apart, and you can easily picture Buffett skipping into work. Buffett owns a gorgeous brown house with a barn-style roof. It certainly was not the palace you would expect one of the world’s richest men to own. But what surprised me the most was the lack of a visible security presence. No fence. No moat. Just trust. I realized that if there was one underlying theme to the weekend, it was the value of trust.

After all, how valuable is a partner if you can’t trust him? Unlike some of the family members I met, Buffett’s original partners trusted him with their hard-earned money. Buffett, in turn, has held that level of trust in the managers of every company he has ever owned. He trusted Russell Athletic’s management to make the right decisions in Honduras. He trusted Bill Child to continue to run RC Willey exactly the same way after he bought the company. He trusted all of his managers and that partnership manifested itself as stable, predictable cash flows.

But trust is not something that appears explicitly in a P/E ratio or a discount rate. It’s not something you can model in an excel spreadsheet. And it’s certainly not something that can be quantified in a contract. This presents amateur investors like me with a challenge. If trust is so important, how do we decide whom to trust — and how to value it? I suppose that is the art of investing. After all, Benjamin Graham did not title his second book The “Value” Investor, but The Intelligent Investor. Those who recognize the additional margin of safety that trust bestows would be intelligent to follow Buffett’s lead. Trust is certainly a concept that holds enduring relevance, as Buffett’s 35,000 adoring “partners” can attest.

Brandt Blimkie ’10 is the incoming co-president of the Investment Management Club.

Photos courtesy of Brandt Blimkie ’10.

More...