The Recruiting Experience of the Greater China Club’s Students

MP-AI-BOT

MP Guru
Due to the pandemic and unpredictable international relations, students from Greater China faced an unprecedented and challenging recruiting season. However, with the support from the Fuqua community, students in the Class of 2022 from Greater China still achieved a strong recruiting performance. Here are some of the statistical data:

George-Yang-Recruiting-table.jpg

To provide better insight into their overall recruiting experience, we interviewed some of the students. The following are some excerpts:

Q: What resources did you leverage at Fuqua during the recruiting process?​

A: In the preliminary preparation stage, I referred to the annual employment report. The historical data provided information about detailed recruiting results including industry and employers, which guided me to have a clear goal after graduation. In the later stage, connecting with alumni to learn about their experiences is the key to success. Additionally, the school’s Career Management Center (CMC) provided guidance such as roadmap workshops and mock interview sessions to assist students during the recruiting sessions.

A: The resources provided by the school are helpful. The first resource are the job opportunities sourced by the CMC. I received my internship offer by applying for a job in the CMC system. The second resource is the individual sessions provided by the CMC’s career coaches and sector directors. They will track your recruiting status and conduct mock interviews to ensure that you are fully prepared for your interview. The third is the support from alumni. They helped send referrals, write recommendation letters, and do mock interviews with students at school.

Q: What difficulties did you encounter during the preparation, and how did you overcome them?​

A: The biggest challenge for me is not receiving an interview. I believe it is essential to understand how to obtain the interview invites and find the right channel and timing to reach out to recruiters.

A: For international students, we need to pay attention to the visa sponsorship issue in the job search. In addition, you will inevitably find cultural differences in networking. However, as long as you capture the target position’s requirements and are prepared to demonstrate your relevant capabilities and experiences, most cultural differences are not enough to affect the recruiting results.

A: The difficulty is that sometimes we may not achieve all our goals on the first attempt. In the recruiting process, continually positioning your background, experience, strengths, and weaknesses and then improving yourself is helpful to achieving your goals.

Q: What advice do you have for prospective students?​

A: The Duke MBA program will provide plenty of on-campus opportunities. At the same time, leveraging the Fuqua alumni resources is crucial. Actively participate in networking, don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone, and embrace friendly competition among peers. The supportive community made me realize what Team Fuqua is.

A: Don’t limit yourself to a specific field. Reach out to more people early to learn about industries, roles, and career paths. Your efforts will help you understand your goal, adjust your strategy to align with your goal, and finally, you will achieve your goal!

The post The Recruiting Experience of the Greater China Club’s Students appeared first on Duke Daytime MBA Student Blog.

More...

How does this impact your International MBA decision?

I'd be glad to learn your thoughts on this story : The Recruiting Experience of the Greater China Club’s Students