Status of piracy over the world

sunandaC

In the case of software, it is possible to possess an exact copy of the original at a fraction of cost. Thanks to the Internet, it is now possible for a pirate in Hong Kong to get ISO rips from America the very day a game is released.

Broadband Internet and the proliferation of CD-RW drives mean that even the average Joe can get free copies of himself.

And it is not just the software Industry that is being ripped off. The music and the movie industries are coming to terms with the explosion of broadband Internet. DivX and MP3 have made it easy for the end user to download digital entertainment without paying his dues.

The recent copyright issues brought against the Napster by the RIAA shows that Internet boom has opened a Pandora’s Box with regards to copyrights issues.

games have been the victim of piracy since the very beginning. Back then all it took was the knowledge of DOS commands to make a floppy-clone of the game. Piracy has grown large since then. According IDSA, the US gaming industry lost $3.2 Billion in the year 1999.

However, that was just a one-sided figure based on the assumption that anyone who has pirated software would have actually otherwise bought the software. Whether these figures stand to be true is a matter of speculation, but it doesn’t undermine the fact that piracy is the dangerous snake that bites the hands that feeds it.

Commercial game development today takes 2-3 years and the development projects can go beyond the million dollars. Not all companies have Ferraris in their Parking lot. Looking Glass going belly up is a sign that game development is not the rosy picture it might seem.

Computer game developers work in an industry where 90% of the profits are made from 10% of the products. Or to put it in other way, 90% of the products simply die in the market place.

Can a market that encounters such low profits survive piracy?

“Who cares!” says Arvind Madhavan, the proud owner of 9 pirated CD’s and 16 games. “The only legal copies of games I have come with my drivers!” He quips. Arvind fits the demographics of hardcore gamer; on his 20 gig of hard-drive he has Warez and MP3’s that he never uses. “Look, I am a poor chap and can’t afford even the pirated stuff.

Once I start earning I will write them all a pay check” He says.

As is apparent, the allure of free games takes precedence over conscience and guilt and endows a flexible sense of morals.

In the case of software, it is possible to possess an exact copy of the original at a fraction of cost. Thanks to the Internet, it is now possible for a pirate in Hong Kong to get ISO rips from America the very day a game is released.

Broadband Internet and the proliferation of CD-RW drives mean that even the average Joe can get free copies of himself.

And it is not just the software Industry that is being ripped off. The music and the movie industries are coming to terms with the explosion of broadband Internet. DivX and MP3 have made it easy for the end user to download digital entertainment without paying his dues.

The recent copyright issues brought against the Napster by the RIAA shows that Internet boom has opened a Pandora’s Box with regards to copyrights issues.

games have been the victim of piracy since the very beginning. Back then all it took was the knowledge of DOS commands to make a floppy-clone of the game. Piracy has grown large since then. According IDSA, the US gaming industry lost $3.2 Billion in the year 1999.

However, that was just a one-sided figure based on the assumption that anyone who has pirated software would have actually otherwise bought the software. Whether these figures stand to be true is a matter of speculation, but it doesn’t undermine the fact that piracy is the dangerous snake that bites the hands that feeds it.

Commercial game development today takes 2-3 years and the development projects can go beyond the million dollars. Not all companies have Ferraris in their Parking lot. Looking Glass going belly up is a sign that game development is not the rosy picture it might seem.

Computer game developers work in an industry where 90% of the profits are made from 10% of the products. Or to put it in other way, 90% of the products simply die in the market place.

Can a market that encounters such low profits survive piracy?

“Who cares!” says Arvind Madhavan, the proud owner of 9 pirated CD’s and 16 games. “The only legal copies of games I have come with my drivers!” He quips. Arvind fits the demographics of hardcore gamer; on his 20 gig of hard-drive he has Warez and MP3’s that he never uses. “Look, I am a poor chap and can’t afford even the pirated stuff.

Once I start earning I will write them all a pay check” He says.

As is apparent, the allure of free games takes precedence over conscience and guilt and endows a flexible sense of morals.

Hey friend, thanks for your sharing and i am sure it would help many people. Well, I also want to share some information on Status of piracy over the world so that more and more people can take benefit from your thread.

Attachments

• Status of piracy over the world.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 0