Reapplying to UCLA Anderson

MP-AI-BOT

MP Guru
This blog post is part of our "Application Insider" blog post series that provides insider information, tips, and advice about applying to the UCLA Anderson MBA program.

Application-Insider-Banner_final

APPLICATION INSIDER TOPIC:

Reapplying to UCLA Anderson

Please do not be discouraged if you were unsuccessful in getting admitted into our MBA program in a prior application year -- sometimes there is just not enough room for all of the qualified candidates, or perhaps you needed a bit more time to strengthen the competitiveness of your application profile.

We HIGHLY encourage individuals to re-apply to our program -- the good news is that the applicant pool changes every year and you have additional time to improve your candidacy. As a reapplicant, you essentially start with a fresh slate. Every year, we accept a group of highly qualified re-applicants to our program, who go on to be very successful throughout the MBA program and into their post-MBA careers.

The good news is that the process to re-apply is streamlined for those who submitted a completed UCLA Anderson full-time MBA application within the previous two years (i.e., who applied for the MBA program start in 2019 or 2020 -- if you applied prior to the previous two years, you are considered a "new" applicant and should follow those application guidelines). You will only need to submit one new recommendation and you are not required to write a new essay. Instead, we give you the opportunity in your reapplication to highlight what has changed since you last applied across different categories -- Test Scores, Academics, Professional/Employment, Extracurriculars, and "Other". This is a great place to show the Admissions Committee that you have taken this additional time to strengthen your candidacy.

To do so, we recommend that you take an honest look at your prior application and reflect on where you can strengthen your profile. Some areas you may want to evaluate include:

• Test Scores: Many of our re-applicants use the additional time to re-take the GMAT/GRE to help improve their candidacy. The higher the score, the better, but look at our class profile GMAT averages and 80% range to help you evaluate whether or not you should take the test again -- also remember that we admit individuals below (and above) these averages every year. Ultimately, if you believe you can do better on the exam, you may want to consider re-taking it if you believe it will improve your candidacy and is worth your time, energy, and money. Note that your standardized test scores (GMAT, GRE, TOEFL and IELTS) remain on file if previously reported, though scores are still subject to expiration dates.
  • Academics: While you cannot got back in time to change your undergraduate GPA, if you feel your academic performance was sub-par and/or that you didn't demonstrate your ability to handle quantitative work, you may want to consider taking additional courses. The Admissions Committee will still be evaluating your undergraduate performance as a part of your profile, but additional coursework may help demonstrate your ability to handle the academic rigor of our program.
  • Professional & Extracurricular Experiences: In the the time since your prior application, you should have had sufficient time to build upon your professional experiences (i.e., new skillsets, accomplishments, projects, etc.) and extracurricular activities (i.e., new leadership opportunities, volunteering, etc.). Make sure to highlight these in your re-application.

• Self-Reflection & Research: Take the time to think about what you communicated in your previous application and ask yourself some of these questions: Have my post-MBA goals changed? Did I demonstrate why now is the right time in my career path to get an MBA? Do I have a better understanding of what UCLA Anderson's program has to offer me? Was I clear in my goals and why I want to go to UCLA Anderson? Your re-application will be a fresh start for you, meaning it is definitely OK to have new goals if you feel they have changed.

Insider tip: Do not assume that the Admissions Committee will reference your previous application. This means you need to communicate everything you want the Admissions Committee to know, even if you covered it in your prior application. Ultimately, your reapplication gives you a fresh start and puts you on the same evaluation standards as first-time applicants, giving you absolutely no disadvantage to reapplying.

Check back for more "Application Insider" blog posts that will cover information and tips on the many aspects of applying to the UCLA Anderson MBA program!

-- Ilana Van Allen '13, Director of Strategy & Marketing, MBA Admissions

---
Stay in Touch:
Stay Connected
Follow the Admissions Team @uclaMBA: Twitterhttp://bit.ly/uclaMBAIntroduceYourself
Questions? Contact us at: [email protected]

More...

How does this impact your International MBA decision?

I'd be glad to learn your thoughts on this story : Reapplying to UCLA Anderson