FEMINISM...

Are you a Feminist?

• Total voters
What actually is Feminism to you?
Many people tend to call themselves as feminists, What do they actually do? Should we as a youth also take part in this community? If yes what are the things you would like to bring a change on?
Think!!

Anushka27_

Many people tend to call themselves as feminists, What do they actually do? Should we as a youth also take part in this community? If yes what are the things you would like to bring a change on?
Think!!

Hey Readers !

Before expressing my opinion I will start with a "Thank You! ". Thank you Shruthi for bringing "Feminism" onboard, because the matter really needs to be addressed in an appropriate way.

Of course "Feminism" is the most talked about topic of recent times and a matter of debate for many. But, if you were to take my opinion, I believe, "Feminism" is as important as "Democracy" is. For many individuals, "Feminism is all about women", which sounds correct to some extent, yet is a half truth. Feminism do talk about women rights and their issues, but, it's more than that. Don't you think a single empowered woman paves the way for an entire clan? I believe feminism is about women's right to take decisions, women's safety, the right to earn, liberation from women crimes such as rape, domestic violence, social abuse and much more. Moreover, feminism is also about women taking a stand for another women, children, men and the society.

Above all, feminism has different meaning for different sections of society, categorically. For an urban woman, the freedom to enjoy a night life at a fancy club, a safe working environment, safer streets, are all related to feminism. For a married woman, the right to take decisions for the family the same way her husband does, is feminism. On the other hand, a woman who trudges many kilometres in search of water, somewhere in North-West India, relates her physical struggle with feminism. I often come across the question - " Why need 'Feminism' when we already have 'Equality'? ". Certainly, equality is our major goal, but, in-order to achieve equality, women need to come together as a single entity, that entity is "Feminism". In simple terms, feminism can be considered as the subset of equality or a way to achieve equality. Idiomatically, 'Equality' is the fruit and 'Feminism' is the root.

Also, a recent debate is about how women are using feminism for defaming men and other women. I can't run away from the reality, I will say its true. A certain section of women misuse their rights for personal interests, and that's where the term "Pseudo-feminism" comes into play. In my opinion, "Pseudo-feminism" is the counter part of "Toxic masculinity". Just as, all men are not same, all women are not same either. I suggest, a certain section of women must not make it a race in the name of feminism. I also admit the fact that men face harassment too, that's why I suggest men, to speak about their own rights more often, rather than only when women speak about theirs. As Shruthi asked whether youth should participate in feminism or not, I would say - "Why not ?". Men can be feminist too, that doesn't mean leaving your identity or stop fighting for men rights, being a feminist simply means raising voice for the betterment of women, their rights, and against women crimes.

Feminism is a beautiful thought, born to liberate women from years of struggle - a struggle to present themselves as confident and capable individuals rather than being judged or stereotyped by their gender. The fact that women have a long history of injustice and inequality can't be ignored. Decades ago, we were labelled as "Weaker Section" and we are still paying the price.

At last, I want to answer your question with - You can surely become a feminist but only if your motive is not defeating men, but uplifting women.

Happy Reading and Stay Safe !

*I am always open to suggestions and corrections*

Hey Readers !

Before expressing my opinion I will start with a "Thank You! ". Thank you Shruthi for bringing "Feminism" onboard, because the matter really needs to be addressed in an appropriate way.

Of course "Feminism" is the most talked about topic of recent times and a matter of debate for many. But, if you were to take my opinion, I believe, "Feminism" is as important as "Democracy" is. For many individuals, "Feminism is all about women", which sounds correct to some extent, yet is a half truth. Feminism do talk about women rights and their issues, but, it's more than that. Don't you think a single empowered woman paves the way for an entire clan? I believe feminism is about women's right to take decisions, women's safety, the right to earn, liberation from women crimes such as rape, domestic violence, social abuse and much more. Moreover, feminism is also about women taking a stand for another women, children, men and the society.

Above all, feminism has different meaning for different sections of society, categorically. For an urban woman, the freedom to enjoy a night life at a fancy club, a safe working environment, safer streets, are all related to feminism. For a married woman, the right to take decisions for the family the same way her husband does, is feminism. On the other hand, a woman who trudges many kilometres in search of water, somewhere in North-West India, relates her physical struggle with feminism. I often come across the question - " Why need 'Feminism' when we already have 'Equality'? ". Certainly, equality is our major goal, but, in-order to achieve equality, women need to come together as a single entity, that entity is "Feminism". In simple terms, feminism can be considered as the subset of equality or a way to achieve equality. Idiomatically, 'Equality' is the fruit and 'Feminism' is the root.

Also, a recent debate is about how women are using feminism for defaming men and other women. I can't run away from the reality, I will say its true. A certain section of women misuse their rights for personal interests, and that's where the term "Pseudo-feminism" comes into play. In my opinion, "Pseudo-feminism" is the counter part of "Toxic masculinity". Just as, all men are not same, all women are not same either. I suggest, a certain section of women must not make it a race in the name of feminism. I also admit the fact that men face harassment too, that's why I suggest men, to speak about their own rights more often, rather than only when women speak about theirs. As Shruthi asked whether youth should participate in feminism or not, I would say - "Why not ?". Men can be feminist too, that doesn't mean leaving your identity or stop fighting for men rights, being a feminist simply means raising voice for the betterment of women, their rights, and against women crimes.

Feminism is a beautiful thought, born to liberate women from years of struggle - a struggle to present themselves as confident and capable individuals rather than being judged or stereotyped by their gender. The fact that women have a long history of injustice and inequality can't be ignored. Decades ago, we were labelled as "Weaker Section" and we are still paying the price.

At last, I want to answer your question with - You can surely become a feminist but only if your motive is not defeating men, but uplifting women.

Happy Reading and Stay Safe !

*I am always open to suggestions and corrections*

Himanshi Agarwal

Feminism Quotes
  • “You educate a man; you educate a man. ...
  • “When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. ...
  • “I hate to hear you talk about all women as if they were fine ladies instead of rational creatures. ...
  • “I'm tough, I'm ambitious, and I know exactly what I want. ...
  • “A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle.”

poornima lagadapati

Think!!

These are the contributions made by feminist movements
The feminist movement has effected change in Western society, including women's suffrage; greater access to education; more equitable pay with men; the right to initiate divorce proceedings; the right of women to make individual decisions regarding pregnancy (including access to contraceptives and abortion); and the right to own property.

Swati P

Feminism is generally a fight for equality just it got the name that seems like a fight for women's rights. But feminism is an attempt for gender neutrality in society for example patriarchy on men which people rarely notice looks like the statement often that goes around men you are a man and "you owe the financial stability of the family".A father who loves to stay home and take care of his kids is always shamed for being a man. A man who is delicate and emotional is shamed. A man who goes through a divorce is mostly made to starve for the connection with his kid after separation. Even laws need feminism in which the part of men being affected is yet to be addressed. I have seen men, who had to simply stay away and not be connected where their emotional needs are barely seen so feminism is a fight for general neutrality and it's not the fight for women against men.