sunandaC

ANNEXURE-I

COASTAL AREA CLASSIFICATION AND DEVELOPMENT REGULATIONS

Classification of Coastal Regulation Zone:

(1) For regulating development activities, the coastal stretches within 500 metres of High Tide 31[Line on the] landward side are classified into four categories, namely:

[Category I (CRZ-I):]

(i) Areas that is ecologically sensitive and important, such as national parks/marine parks, sanctuaries, reserve forests, wildlife habitats, mangroves, corals/coral reefs, areas close to breeding and spawning grounds of fish and other marine life, areas of outstanding natural beauty/historical/heritage areas, areas rich in genetic-diversity, areas likely to be inundated due to rise in sea level consequent upon global warming and such other areas as may be declared by the Central Government or the concerned authorities at the State/Union Territory level from time to time.

(ii) Area between the Low Tide Line and the High Tide Line.

Category-II (CRZ-II):

The areas that have already been developed upto or close to the shoreline. For this purpose, "developed area" is referred to as that area within the municipal limits or in other legally designated urban areas which is already substantially built up and which has been provided with drainage and approach roads and other infrastructural facilities, such as water supply and sewerage mains:

Category III (CRZ-III):

Areas that are relatively undisturbed and those which do not belong to either Category-I or II. These will include coastal zone in the rural areas (developed and undeveloped) and also areas within Municipal limits or in other legally designated urban areas which are not substantially built up.

Category-IV (CRZ-IV):

Coastal stretches in the Andaman & Nicobar, Lakshadweep and small islands except those designated as CRZ-I, CRZ-II or CRZ-III.

Norms for Regulation of Activities:

The development or construction activities in different categories of CRZ areas shall be regulated by the concerned authorities at the State/Union Territory level, in accordance with the following norms:

CRZ-I

No new construction shall be permitted in CRZ I 33[except (a) Projects relating to

Department of Atomic Energy and (b) Pipelines, conveying systems including

transmission lines (c) facilities that are essential for activities permissible
under CRZ I,]

[(d) operational construction of jetties, wharves or construction, development or modernization of jetties and wharves in the Union territory of Lakshadweep for providing embarkation or disembarkation facilities on the basis of a scientific study report conducted by the Central Government or any agency authorized or recognized by it suggesting environmental safeguard measures required to be taken for minimizing damage to corals and associated bio-diversity; and

(e)] [installation of weather radar for monitoring of cyclone movement and prediction by Indian Meteorological Department] and

(e) construction of trans- harbour sea-links]

[Between the LTL and HTL, activities are specified under paragraph 2 (xii) may be permitted.
In addition, between LTL and HTL in areas, which are not ecologically sensitive and important, the following may be permitted;

(a) Exploration and extraction of Natural Gas,

(b) Activities as specified under proviso of 39

(c) [Construction of dispensaries, schools, public rain shelters, community toilets, bridges, roads, jetties, water supply, drainage, sewerage which are required for traditional inhabitants of the Sunderbans Bio-sphere reserve area of West Bengal, on a case to case basis,] [by the West Bengal State Coastal Zone Management Authority]

[(d) Salt harvesting by solar evaporation of sea water.]

[(e) Desalination plants,

(f) storage of non hazardous cargo such as
edible oil, fertilizers and food grain within notified ports]

[(g) construction of trans-harbour sea links]

CRZ-II

(i) Buildings shall be permitted only on the landward side of the existing road (or roads proposed in the approved Coastal Zone Management Plan of the area) or on the landward side of existing authorised structures. Buildings permitted on the landward side of the existing and proposed roads/existing authorised structures shall be subject to the existing local Town and Country Planning Regulations including the existing norms of Floor Space Index/Floor Area Ratio: Provided that no permission for construction of buildings shall be given on landward side of any new roads 49[(except roads approved in the Coastal Zone Management Plan)] which are constructed on the seaward side of an existing road;]

[Provided further that the above restrictions on construction, based on existing roads/authorised structures, roads proposed in the approved Coastal Zone Management Plans, new roads shall not apply to the housing schemes of State Urban Development Authorities implemented in phases for which construction activity was commenced prior to 19th February, 1991 in at least one phase and all relevant approvals from State/Local Authorities were obtained prior to 19th February, 1991; in all such cases specific approval of the Ministry of Environment and Forests would be necessary on a case to case basis.]

[(i.a) facilities for receipt and storage of petroleum products and liquefied natural gas as specified in Annexure-III appended to this notification and facilities for regasification of liquefied natural gas subject to the conditions as mention in Para 2

(ii).
(i.b) desalination plants

(i.c) storage of non hazardous cargo such as edible oil, fertilizers and food grain in notified ports.

(i.d) facilities for generating power by non conventional energy sources.
(i.e) construction of airstrips and associated facilities in the Islands of Lakshadweep and Andaman and Nicobar.]

(ii) Reconstruction of the authorised buildings to be permitted [subject to the] existing FSI/FAR norms and without change in the existing use.

(iii) The design and construction of buildings shall be consistent with the surrounding landscape and local architectural style.

(i) The area upto 200 metres from the High Tide Line is to be earmarked as 'No Development Zone' 53[provided that such area does not fall within any notified port limits or any notified Special Economic Zone]. No construction shall be permitted within this zone except for repairs of existing authorised structures not exceeding existing FSI, existing plinth area and existing density, and for permissible activities under the notification including facilities essential for such activities 54.

However, the following 55[uses/activities] may be permissible in this zone - agriculture, horticulture, gardens, pastures, parks, playfields, forestry, 56[projects relating to the Department of Atomic Energy], 57[mining of rare minerals] and salt manufacture from sea water 58[facilities for receipt and storage of petroleum products and liquefied natural gas as specified in Annexure-III appended to this notification and facilities for regasification of liquefied natural gas subject to the conditions as mentioned in para 2

(ii), facilities for generating power by non conventional energy sources, desalination plants, weather radars and construction of and construction of airstrips and associated facilities in the Islands of Lakshadweep and Andaman and Nicobar]

(ia) Construction of dispensaries, schools, public rain shelters, community toilets, bridges, roads and provision of facilities for water supply, drainage, sewerage which are required for the local inhabitants may be permitted, on a case to case basis, by the Central Government or Coastal Zone Management Authority constituted for the State/Union Territory.
Provided that construction of units or ancillary thereto for domestic sewage treatment and disposal shall be permissible notwithstanding anything contained in sub-paragraph (iv) of paragraph 2 of this notification.]

[(ib) the No Development Zone may be reduced to a minimum of 50 mts in the identified stretches of the Islands in the union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands selected and declared by the Central Government for promotion of tourism, based on an integrated coastal zone management study conducted or commissioned by the Ministry of Environment and Forests;]

(ii) Development of vacant plots between 200 and 500 metres of High Tide Line in designated areas of CRZ-III with prior approval of Ministry of Environment and

Forests 61(MEF) permitted for construction of hotels/beach resorts for temporary occupation of tourists/visitors subject to the conditions as stipulated in the guidelines at Annexure-II.

(iia) facilities for receipt and storage of petroleum products and liquefied natural gas as specified in Annexure-III appended to this notification and facilities for regasification of liquefied natural gas subject to the conditions as mentioned in para 2(ii),

(iib) storage of non hazardous cargo such as edible oil, fertilizers and food grain in notified ports.

(iic) desalination plants

(iid) facilities for generating power by non conventional energy sources

(iie) construction of airstrips and associated facilities in the Island of Lakshadweep and Andaman & Nicobar.

(iif) construction and operation of jetties in the Union territory of Lakshadweep.

(iii) Construction/reconstruction of dwelling units between 200 and 500 metres of the High Tide Line permitted so long it is with in the ambit of traditional rights and customary uses such as existing fishing villages and goathans.

Building permission for such construction/reconstruction will be subject to the conditions that the total number of dwelling units shall not be more than twice the number of existing units; total covered area on all floors shall not exceed 33 per cent of the plot size; the overall height of construction shall not exceed 9 metres and construction shall not be more than 2 floors (ground floor plus one floor).

[Construction is allowed for permissible activities under the notification including facilities essential for such activities. An authority designated by State Government/Union Territory Administration may permit construction of public rain shelters, community toilets, water supply, drainage, sewerage, roads and bridges.

The said authority may also permit construction of schools and dispensaries, for local inhabitants of the area, for those panchayats the major part of which falls within CRZ if no other area is available for construction of such facilities.]

(iv) Reconstruction/alterations of an existing authorised building permitted subject

to (i) to (iii) above.

(v) In notified SEZ, construction of non–polluting industries in the field of information technology and other service industries, desalination plants, beach resorts and related recreational facilities essential for promotion of SEZ as approved in its Master Plan by SEZ Authority may be permitted.

CRZ-IV
Andaman & Nicobar Islands:

(i) No new construction of buildings shall be permitted within 200 metres of the
HTL;

[Except facilities for generating power by non conventional energy sources, desalination plants and construction of airstrips and associated facilities]

(id) setting up of facilities for treatment of wastes and effluents arising from hotels and beach resorts as well as domestic sewage disposal of the treated wastes in areas other than Coastal Regulation Zone –I based on a detailed scientific study to assess the environmental impact thereof.

(id) The No Construction Zone may be reduced to a minimum of 50 mts in the identified stretches of the Islands in the Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands selected and declared by the Central Government for promotion of tourism, based on an integrated coastal zone management study conducted by the Ministry of Environment & Forests by itself or through any agency authorized by it in this behalf;

(ii) The buildings between 69[50] and 500 metres from the High Tide Line shall not have more than 2 floors (ground floor and 1st floor), the total covered area on all floors shall not be more than 50 per cent of the plot size and the total height of constructions shall not exceed 9 meters;

(iii) The design and construction of buildings shall be consistent with the surrounding landscape and local architectural style.

(a) Corals from the beaches and coastal waters shall not be used for construction and other purposes;

(b) Sand may be used from the beaches and coastal waters, only for construction purpose upto the 71[31st day of March, 2004] and thereafter it shall not be used for construction and other purposes.]

(v) Dredging and underwater blasting in and around coral formations shall not be permitted; and

(vi) However, in some of the islands, coastal stretches may also be classified into categories CRZ-I or II or III with the prior approval of Ministry of Environment and Forests and in such designated stretches, the appropriate regulations given for respective Categories shall apply.

Lakshadweep and small Islands:

(i) For permitting construction of buildings, the distance from the High Tide Line shall be decided depending on the size of the islands. This shall be laid down for each island 72[on the basis of integrated coastal zone management study] and with approval of the Ministry of Environment & Forests, keeping in view the land use

The word ‘200’ was replaced by the word ‘50’ by S.O.838 (E) dated 24th July 2003, vide Gazette of India (Extra) requirements for specific purposes vis-a-vis local conditions including hydrological aspects, erosion and ecological sensitivity:

(ia)facilities for generating power by non conventional energy sources;

(ib)desalination plants;

(ic)construction of airstrips and associated facilities;]

(id) operational construction of jetties and wharves or construction, development or modernization of jetties and wharves on the basis of a scientific study conducted by the Central Government or any agency authorized or recognized by it on a case to case basis suggesting environmental safeguard measures required to be taken for minimizing damage to corals and associated biodiversity.]

(id) setting up of facilities for treatment of wastes and effluents arising from hotels and beach resorts as well as domestic sewage disposal of the treated wastes in areas other than Coastal Regulation Zone –I based on a detailed scientific study to assess the environmental impact thereof.

(ii) The buildings within 500 metres from the HTL shall not have more than 2 floors (ground floor and 1st floor), the total covered area on all floors shall not be more than 50 per cent of the plot size and the total height of construction shall not exceed 9 metres;

(iv) Corals and sand from the beaches and coastal waters shall not be used for construction and other purposes;

(v) Dredging and underwater blasting in and around coral formations shall not be permitted; and

(vi) However, in some of the islands, coastal stretches may also be classified into categories CRZ-I or II or III, with the prior approval of Ministry of Environment & Forests and in such designated stretches, the appropriate regulations given for respective Categories shall apply.

bhautik.kawa

ANNEXURE-I

COASTAL AREA CLASSIFICATION AND DEVELOPMENT REGULATIONS

Classification of Coastal Regulation Zone:

(1) For regulating development activities, the coastal stretches within 500 metres of High Tide 31[Line on the] landward side are classified into four categories, namely:

[Category I (CRZ-I):]

(i) Areas that is ecologically sensitive and important, such as national parks/marine parks, sanctuaries, reserve forests, wildlife habitats, mangroves, corals/coral reefs, areas close to breeding and spawning grounds of fish and other marine life, areas of outstanding natural beauty/historical/heritage areas, areas rich in genetic-diversity, areas likely to be inundated due to rise in sea level consequent upon global warming and such other areas as may be declared by the Central Government or the concerned authorities at the State/Union Territory level from time to time.

(ii) Area between the Low Tide Line and the High Tide Line.

Category-II (CRZ-II):

The areas that have already been developed upto or close to the shoreline. For this purpose, "developed area" is referred to as that area within the municipal limits or in other legally designated urban areas which is already substantially built up and which has been provided with drainage and approach roads and other infrastructural facilities, such as water supply and sewerage mains:

Category III (CRZ-III):

Areas that are relatively undisturbed and those which do not belong to either Category-I or II. These will include coastal zone in the rural areas (developed and undeveloped) and also areas within Municipal limits or in other legally designated urban areas which are not substantially built up.

Category-IV (CRZ-IV):

Coastal stretches in the Andaman & Nicobar, Lakshadweep and small islands except those designated as CRZ-I, CRZ-II or CRZ-III.

Norms for Regulation of Activities:

The development or construction activities in different categories of CRZ areas shall be regulated by the concerned authorities at the State/Union Territory level, in accordance with the following norms:

CRZ-I

No new construction shall be permitted in CRZ I 33[except (a) Projects relating to

Department of Atomic Energy and (b) Pipelines, conveying systems including

transmission lines (c) facilities that are essential for activities permissible
under CRZ I,]

[(d) operational construction of jetties, wharves or construction, development or modernization of jetties and wharves in the Union territory of Lakshadweep for providing embarkation or disembarkation facilities on the basis of a scientific study report conducted by the Central Government or any agency authorized or recognized by it suggesting environmental safeguard measures required to be taken for minimizing damage to corals and associated bio-diversity; and

(e)] [installation of weather radar for monitoring of cyclone movement and prediction by Indian Meteorological Department] and

(e) construction of trans- harbour sea-links]

[Between the LTL and HTL, activities are specified under paragraph 2 (xii) may be permitted.
In addition, between LTL and HTL in areas, which are not ecologically sensitive and important, the following may be permitted;

(a) Exploration and extraction of Natural Gas,

(b) Activities as specified under proviso of 39

(c) [Construction of dispensaries, schools, public rain shelters, community toilets, bridges, roads, jetties, water supply, drainage, sewerage which are required for traditional inhabitants of the Sunderbans Bio-sphere reserve area of West Bengal, on a case to case basis,] [by the West Bengal State Coastal Zone Management Authority]

[(d) Salt harvesting by solar evaporation of sea water.]

[(e) Desalination plants,

(f) storage of non hazardous cargo such as
edible oil, fertilizers and food grain within notified ports]

[(g) construction of trans-harbour sea links]

CRZ-II

(i) Buildings shall be permitted only on the landward side of the existing road (or roads proposed in the approved Coastal Zone Management Plan of the area) or on the landward side of existing authorised structures. Buildings permitted on the landward side of the existing and proposed roads/existing authorised structures shall be subject to the existing local Town and Country Planning Regulations including the existing norms of Floor Space Index/Floor Area Ratio: Provided that no permission for construction of buildings shall be given on landward side of any new roads 49[(except roads approved in the Coastal Zone Management Plan)] which are constructed on the seaward side of an existing road;]

[Provided further that the above restrictions on construction, based on existing roads/authorised structures, roads proposed in the approved Coastal Zone Management Plans, new roads shall not apply to the housing schemes of State Urban Development Authorities implemented in phases for which construction activity was commenced prior to 19th February, 1991 in at least one phase and all relevant approvals from State/Local Authorities were obtained prior to 19th February, 1991; in all such cases specific approval of the Ministry of Environment and Forests would be necessary on a case to case basis.]

[(i.a) facilities for receipt and storage of petroleum products and liquefied natural gas as specified in Annexure-III appended to this notification and facilities for regasification of liquefied natural gas subject to the conditions as mention in Para 2

(ii).
(i.b) desalination plants

(i.c) storage of non hazardous cargo such as edible oil, fertilizers and food grain in notified ports.

(i.d) facilities for generating power by non conventional energy sources.
(i.e) construction of airstrips and associated facilities in the Islands of Lakshadweep and Andaman and Nicobar.]

(ii) Reconstruction of the authorised buildings to be permitted [subject to the] existing FSI/FAR norms and without change in the existing use.

(i) The area upto 200 metres from the High Tide Line is to be earmarked as 'No Development Zone' 53[provided that such area does not fall within any notified port limits or any notified Special Economic Zone]. No construction shall be permitted within this zone except for repairs of existing authorised structures not exceeding existing FSI, existing plinth area and existing density, and for permissible activities under the notification including facilities essential for such activities 54.

However, the following 55[uses/activities] may be permissible in this zone - agriculture, horticulture, gardens, pastures, parks, playfields, forestry, 56[projects relating to the Department of Atomic Energy], 57[mining of rare minerals] and salt manufacture from sea water 58[facilities for receipt and storage of petroleum products and liquefied natural gas as specified in Annexure-III appended to this notification and facilities for regasification of liquefied natural gas subject to the conditions as mentioned in para 2

(ii), facilities for generating power by non conventional energy sources, desalination plants, weather radars and construction of and construction of airstrips and associated facilities in the Islands of Lakshadweep and Andaman and Nicobar]

(ia) Construction of dispensaries, schools, public rain shelters, community toilets, bridges, roads and provision of facilities for water supply, drainage, sewerage which are required for the local inhabitants may be permitted, on a case to case basis, by the Central Government or Coastal Zone Management Authority constituted for the State/Union Territory.
Provided that construction of units or ancillary thereto for domestic sewage treatment and disposal shall be permissible notwithstanding anything contained in sub-paragraph (iv) of paragraph 2 of this notification.]

[(ib) the No Development Zone may be reduced to a minimum of 50 mts in the identified stretches of the Islands in the union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands selected and declared by the Central Government for promotion of tourism, based on an integrated coastal zone management study conducted or commissioned by the Ministry of Environment and Forests;]

(ii) Development of vacant plots between 200 and 500 metres of High Tide Line in designated areas of CRZ-III with prior approval of Ministry of Environment and

Forests 61(MEF) permitted for construction of hotels/beach resorts for temporary occupation of tourists/visitors subject to the conditions as stipulated in the guidelines at Annexure-II.

(iia) facilities for receipt and storage of petroleum products and liquefied natural gas as specified in Annexure-III appended to this notification and facilities for regasification of liquefied natural gas subject to the conditions as mentioned in para 2(ii),

(iib) storage of non hazardous cargo such as edible oil, fertilizers and food grain in notified ports.

(iic) desalination plants

(iid) facilities for generating power by non conventional energy sources

(iie) construction of airstrips and associated facilities in the Island of Lakshadweep and Andaman & Nicobar.

(iif) construction and operation of jetties in the Union territory of Lakshadweep.

(iii) Construction/reconstruction of dwelling units between 200 and 500 metres of the High Tide Line permitted so long it is with in the ambit of traditional rights and customary uses such as existing fishing villages and goathans.

Building permission for such construction/reconstruction will be subject to the conditions that the total number of dwelling units shall not be more than twice the number of existing units; total covered area on all floors shall not exceed 33 per cent of the plot size; the overall height of construction shall not exceed 9 metres and construction shall not be more than 2 floors (ground floor plus one floor).

[Construction is allowed for permissible activities under the notification including facilities essential for such activities. An authority designated by State Government/Union Territory Administration may permit construction of public rain shelters, community toilets, water supply, drainage, sewerage, roads and bridges.

The said authority may also permit construction of schools and dispensaries, for local inhabitants of the area, for those panchayats the major part of which falls within CRZ if no other area is available for construction of such facilities.]

(iv) Reconstruction/alterations of an existing authorised building permitted subject

to (i) to (iii) above.

(v) In notified SEZ, construction of non–polluting industries in the field of information technology and other service industries, desalination plants, beach resorts and related recreational facilities essential for promotion of SEZ as approved in its Master Plan by SEZ Authority may be permitted.

CRZ-IV
Andaman & Nicobar Islands:

(i) No new construction of buildings shall be permitted within 200 metres of the
HTL;

[Except facilities for generating power by non conventional energy sources, desalination plants and construction of airstrips and associated facilities]

(id) The No Construction Zone may be reduced to a minimum of 50 mts in the identified stretches of the Islands in the Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands selected and declared by the Central Government for promotion of tourism, based on an integrated coastal zone management study conducted by the Ministry of Environment & Forests by itself or through any agency authorized by it in this behalf;

(ii) The buildings between 69[50] and 500 metres from the High Tide Line shall not have more than 2 floors (ground floor and 1st floor), the total covered area on all floors shall not be more than 50 per cent of the plot size and the total height of constructions shall not exceed 9 meters;

(a) Corals from the beaches and coastal waters shall not be used for construction and other purposes;

(b) Sand may be used from the beaches and coastal waters, only for construction purpose upto the 71[31st day of March, 2004] and thereafter it shall not be used for construction and other purposes.]

(vi) However, in some of the islands, coastal stretches may also be classified into categories CRZ-I or II or III with the prior approval of Ministry of Environment and Forests and in such designated stretches, the appropriate regulations given for respective Categories shall apply.

Lakshadweep and small Islands:

(i) For permitting construction of buildings, the distance from the High Tide Line shall be decided depending on the size of the islands. This shall be laid down for each island 72[on the basis of integrated coastal zone management study] and with approval of the Ministry of Environment & Forests, keeping in view the land use

The word ‘200’ was replaced by the word ‘50’ by S.O.838 (E) dated 24th July 2003, vide Gazette of India (Extra) requirements for specific purposes vis-a-vis local conditions including hydrological aspects, erosion and ecological sensitivity:

(ia)facilities for generating power by non conventional energy sources;

(ib)desalination plants;

(ic)construction of airstrips and associated facilities;]

(id) operational construction of jetties and wharves or construction, development or modernization of jetties and wharves on the basis of a scientific study conducted by the Central Government or any agency authorized or recognized by it on a case to case basis suggesting environmental safeguard measures required to be taken for minimizing damage to corals and associated biodiversity.]

(ii) The buildings within 500 metres from the HTL shall not have more than 2 floors (ground floor and 1st floor), the total covered area on all floors shall not be more than 50 per cent of the plot size and the total height of construction shall not exceed 9 metres;

(iv) Corals and sand from the beaches and coastal waters shall not be used for construction and other purposes;

(vi) However, in some of the islands, coastal stretches may also be classified into categories CRZ-I or II or III, with the prior approval of Ministry of Environment & Forests and in such designated stretches, the appropriate regulations given for respective Categories shall apply.

Hello,

I am also uploading a document which will give more detailed explanation on the Development Control Regulations for Mumbai Metropolitan Region, 1999.

Attachments

• Development Control Regulations for Mumbai Metropolitan Region, 1999.pdf
    214.6 KB · Views: 0