Student Perspectives: Deciding Where (and When) to Apply

MP-AI-BOT

MP Guru
About Mareena: Mareena Haseeb (’22) is a 1st year at Anderson with a background in auditing. Prior to Anderson, she lived in San Francisco and worked at BDO in their Asset Management Practice. Outside of the academic and professional world, Mareena loves performing - whether it be singing or dancing - and loves eating lots of pizza!

Deciding to go back to school for an MBA is an exciting yet nerve-wrecking task. There are a lot of things to consider when choosing if getting an MBA is the right investment for you, with two important things being where to go to school and when to apply.

Applying to b-school can be expensive with each application costing between $150-250 plus GMAT fees, transcript fees, gifts for your recommenders, flying to schools for interviews, etc. Most people tend to apply to around 2-5 schools to help limit costs. You might be thinking, “There are so many amazing b-schools out there! How do I choose which one is right for me?” Well, I’m here to help you narrow down your list because trust me, there is a right fit for you!

First, let’s focus on the WHERE

In deciding where to apply to business school, there are lots of factors to consider. Here are a few that really help you to limit down your list:

• Can you handle cold winters, or do you prefer to live somewhere where it is 80 degrees in November?
    • How far is the school from home? Will you have to be in a long-distance relationship? Can you handle long-distance?
    • Do you want your alumni base to be stronger on the West Coast or East Coast?
  • Teaching Methodology
    • Does the faculty utilize the case method of teaching? Do you prefer a traditional lecture-based method?
    • Do you prefer group projects and team-based learning or more traditional exams?
  • Clubs/Campus Opportunities
    • What clubs are you interested in joining? Does the school offer you both professional and identity clubs to join?
    • Are there outside opportunities such as research or mentorship programs available?
    • Are there special programs or dedicated spaces such as Leadership@Anderson or the Venture Accelerator?
  • Culture
    • Is the school heavily student-run? Are you comfortable with students running the show as opposed to staff?
    • Is there grade non-disclosure?

If you are able (whether in-person or virtually), I would highly recommend a campus or class visit to a few schools. You get a feel for where you will be spending 2 years of your life and the type of people you will be interacting with.

Now let’s focus on the WHEN

I decided to apply to business school when I was only 1 year out of college. I began at UCLA Anderson after only 20 months of full-time work experience. Sometimes I wonder, should I have waited another year? Hearing about my classmates’ experiences in managerial positions makes me wish I had just one more year of work experience under my belt. It would come in handy in providing me with a larger pool of experiences to draw from in interviews. On the flip side, while some of my peers are settling down and starting families, I have a few more years to figure out my career before settling down. Whether you are on the earlier side like me or you have worked for 5+ years, here are some questions to ask yourself:

• Do you enjoy the type of work that you are doing?
  • Do you enjoy being around your co-workers?
  • Do you feel like there is still room for growth at your current employer?

If you answered no to any of the above questions, ask yourself the following:

• Do you find yourself bored at work and feeling like you are not reaching your fullest potential?
  • Have you reached a plateau where you are not gaining or learning much in your position at work?
  • Do you find yourself interested in wanting to have more of a business foundation to help you better approach problems at work?

If you answered yes to any of the above questions, then it might be a good idea to start looking into MBA programs! Most people who come to b-school are looking to pivot their careers into a different industry, function, or location. They have reached a point in their career where they are looking for either something different or something more. If that is you, I promise you there is a school out there waiting for you!

In terms of applying Round 1, 2, or 3, I’m going to be very real with you: applying to multiple schools in a round is exhausting! However, it is extremely rewarding once you get that phone call from admissions welcoming you to the family! My advice: after looking at all of the “where” factors above, pick your top 2 schools and apply during Round 1. There are more scholarship opportunities available at that time and the schools know that you are heavily interested in their program. If you don’t feel confident about your application just yet, Round 2 works too! The important thing to remember is to submit your application when you feel it is in its best shape. Whatever your top 2 schools may be, try your best to apply to them no later than Round 2 so that you still have a good chance at receiving scholarships and have plenty of time to make a well-informed decision.

Wherever and whenever you choose to apply, I am confident that you will find the right fit for you :)

Student Blogger: Mareena Haseeb ‘22

Undergrad: UC Berkeley – Haas School of Business, ‘18

Pre-MBA: Experienced Assurance Associate at BDO

Leadership@Anderson: 1st Year Director, Admissions Ambassador Corps; Director of Dance, Creatives at Anderson; Forté Ambassador; Riordan Scholars Mentor

More...

How does this impact your International MBA decision?

I'd be glad to learn your thoughts on this story : Student Perspectives: Deciding Where (and When) to Apply